Apparently Perfect Scrambled Eggs

Gabriel just sent me this. It's Gordon Ramsey (of Hell's Kitchen fame), at home, cooking what he calls "the perfect scrambled egg." This is not quite how I like to do it, but I feel he's hit on some important themes:

  1. DON'T overcook the egg. If you overcook a scrambled egg, you're going to end up with water on your plate and some really dry, unpalatable eggs. And don't tell me you've never noticed this phenomenon - if so, you probably eat your eggs before they've had a chance to visably seperate, that's all. Golden rule: If it's done in the pan, it'll be overdone on the plate.
  2. Don't whisk the eggs. You want to keep some of that previously existing structure. It'll help give you scrambled eggs instead of mushy eggs.
  3. Don't season the eggs until afterward. If you really must, add the salt just before you start heating the eggs. NaCl does nasty things to eggs.
  4. Ramsey uses butter and creme fraiche - I use a smaller bit of butter and cream, but the point is: Scrambling plain eggs does not great scrambled eggs make. (I could take or leave the chives.)




I will be posting my marginally famous Jell-O (Chocolate) Pudding Egg recipe soon. Something to look forward to. It will be one of my many desserts in my yummy Easter dinner. Here's the menu:
  • Baked ham with mustard glaze
  • Roasted asparagus
  • Mashed sweet potatoes
  • Homemade, no-knead bread
  • Mixed green salad with Italian dressing
  • Lemon Tower Cake
  • Jell-O pudding eggs
  • Pecan tarts

Comments