Curried Split Pea Soup and Chocolate Chip Biscotti

I'd had the bag of split peas sitting in my cupboard for months and my stock of homemade chicken stock was sufficiently large (thank goodness we bought a deep freeze a month ago!) so I decided to finally get around to making some homemade pea soup.

I used Alton Brown's Curried Split Pea Soup recipe. There's not much to report on this endevour. It went over well but I'm not 100% sure I'd make it again. Gabriel claims it was too salty but both Chad and I were of the opinion that it wasn't. Dinner was saved by my delicious garlic butter cheese biscuits. I will blog about them another day (I must leave you in suspense of something) but I have to say that they taste really good and quite close to the all-you-can-eat Red Lobster biscuits.

Dessert was chocolate chip biscotti served with vanilla ice cream. Yum yum. Easy to make and definitely a great accompaniment for coffee or tea.


Chocolate Chip Biscotti

Shopping List:
• white sugar
• salted butter
• eggs (2)
• vanilla extract
• chocolate chips
• AP flour
• cocoa powder
• baking powder
• table salt

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Cream 1 cup sugar with ¼ cup butter, softened until light and fluffy. Add 2 eggs, one at a time, beating to combine. Add 1 tbsp vanilla extract.

In a second medium bowl, whisk together:
2 cups AP flour
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
pinch table salt

Slowing add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir to combine. Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips.

Shape the dough into a 1 inch deep rectangular loaf on a Silicon baking mat on a baking sheet.

Bake for 30 minutes.

Remove loaf from oven and cut into ½ - 1 inch thick slices as soon as it is cool enough to handle.

Rearrange slices, sides up, on the baking mat and bake again for approximately 10-15 minutes, until the cookies dry and brown slightly.

Flip the cookies over and bake for another 5 minutes.

Cool and enjoy with espresso covered ice cream.

Original Source: Chef at Home - Chocolate Chip Biscotti

Comments