That's the way the cookie crumbles

I'm sure no one's noticed my absence these past few weeks so I won't apologize for not posting. But I will give you a bit of an update.

1) Gabriel and I bought and moved into our first home. It's been a bit hectic, to say the least. My biggest problem is the crappy kitchen. Noo counter or shelf space, so it took a little "finagling" (a la Chad) to get the room into something I could actually work it.

2) I started a weight loss study. Oh boy for me, right? Ha. No food of any kind, really. Which means that my forays in the kitchen will be limited but, never fear, they will still happen. (btw, I've lost almost 10 lbs in four weeks)

So I'm going to ease back into this with a short, quick post. For Mother's Day, I made my mom her favourite cookies -- peanut butter. But, silly me, I tried to forgo the tried and true recipe from Kraft and try a new one out of the Joy of Cooking. As a result, I had to bake two seperate types of cookies which equated to around 8 dozen individual cookies.

Here's the breakdown:
  • The Joy of Cooking's recipe was very peanuty and not very sweet. My friend, Leo, who had never had sweetened peanut butter before he came to Canada, liked this recipe best. It was also VERY loose and crumbly and made for a very difficult squish.
  • The KRAFT Old-Fashioned recipe was very moist and sweet and made very thin cookies. These are still my mom's favourite.
  • A variation on the KRAFT recipe is to not hatch them with a fork, and let them rise in the oven. Then, after they're baked, press a hole in the center and fill it (while still hot) with strawberry jam. Yum.
  • The picture below shows the Joy cookies on the left and the KRAFT cookies on the right.

Comments