The best oats to eat would be steel-cut, or pinhead, oats. Unfortunately, because they consist of the inner part of the oat kernel, they take forever (45 minutes) to cook. Who wants to stand over a pot, stirring, for 45 minutes on a lazy Sunday morning?
Not I, says the Diana. So we tried the Good Eats recipe for Slow Cooker Oatmeal. In the morning, we were greeted by burnt oats. Yum.
Luckily, Gabriel found another way of quick cooking the oats:
(makes four 1 cup servings)
- Boil 1 cup steel cut oats in 4 cups water for 1 minute.
- Cover and let stand overnight at room temperature.
- Next day, uncover, bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Top with favourite fruit, maple syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, etc.
Original Source: The Bitten Word - Overnight Oatmeal: Steel Cut Oats in 10 minutes