As smooth as velvet

Sorry for the delay in posts, but I have good news! Gabriel and I are having our kitchen redone in May. And when I say "redone", I mean completely torn out and built from scratch. The walls, the floors, cabinets. It's so exciting. We're even switching from an electric to a gas stove. That will make cooking SO much easier (yay for a uniform heat source!). Pictures will be forthcoming.

So today I do not have a recipe for you, but a question: Where can I get good liquid food colouring?


For the Easter weekend, I baked a Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. It was delish and there were no leftovers. But before I go transcribing the recipe, I need to figure out a better way to make the cake red. As you can see from the picture, it's more pink than red, and I think it has to do with the fact that the recipe calls for liquid food colouring, and the only kind we have in Canada is the cheapy Clubhouse brand. I may investigate a way to use my better-quality Wilton colouring pastes and just add some liquid to compensate. Eitherway, I promise to perfect this recipe and get it out to you because, even if it is pink, it's one damn good cake!

Comments