Sometimes everything I know gets turned upside down

I like to learn about cooking and baking from a scientific point of view. For instance, learning about the difference between baking soda (alkaline) and baking powder (neutral) and when to use each (to balance the acidity of the other ingredients), really improved my baking abilities. But there are just some things that we are hand-fed in the cooking world that we take as gospel truth, without any questioning. One of those strongly held beliefs of mine was recently turned on its head.

Were I to ask you to to cook me up some pasta, those in the know would find their biggest pot and bring their water to a boil. Well, apparently, you don't need to do either - use a large volume of water OR have the water at 100 degrees Celcius.

I know, I know, I'm as shocked as you are. But think about all the energy you'll save from only heating a small amount of water for a shorter amount of time. I promise to test this out as soon as my new kitchen is finished (only two more weeks!). In the mean time, go have a read for yourself here:

The Food Lab: A New Way to Cook Pasta? (Serious Eats)

Comments