Just in time for Halloween

I owed a lot of people thanks at work for all the help they've been giving me, so I decided to make some cookies. What with it being fall and all, I went with a sugar cookie in the shape of the seasonal favourite: candy corn. It's a super easy way to make sugar cookies, no rolling required, and they look extremely impressive. Also, a normal sized recipe makes dozens of cookies. I made 10 bags with 8 cookies in each.

This post isn't about the sugar cookie recipe. You can use your own, personal favourite, or just use a package mix (like Betty Crocker) if you're pressed for time. I personally prefer Alton Brown's recipe from the Cookie Clause episode (side note: the peppermint pinwheel variation is amazing!).

Step 1: Start with one batch of sugar cookie dough.

Step 2: Divide the dough equally into thirds. I did this using my kitchen scale, but you can eyeball it as it doesn't matter if one section is slightly bigger than the others.

Step 3: Put one third to the side, and colour the other two thirds yellow and orange using food colouring (I prefer the Wilton brand paste colours, personally).

Step 4: Line a loaf pan with wax paper and press the uncoloured portion into the pan.

Step 5: Repeat with the orange and then yellow sections.

Step 6: Cool the dough in the refrigerator for atleast 1 hour.

Step 7: Remove the dough from the pan and slice the dough into 1/4 inch slices. This was made easy by using my Oxo Good Grips Bench Scraper which was sharp enough to cut the dough, and had 1/4 inch markings on the tip.

Step 8: Cut each slice into triangles.


Step 9: Bake in batches in a 375 deg F oven for 8-10 minutes, until the edges just start to brown.


Step 10: Cool on the sheet for several minutes before moving to a cooling rack to cool completely.





Original Source: Betty Crocker - Candy Corn Cookies

Comments

Post a Comment